Panna Cotta is an Italian dessert which means cooked cream, believed to have originated from Northern Italian region of Piedmont. It is made by simmering together cream, milk & sugar , mixing it with gelatin and letting it cool until set. It is generally flavoured with vanilla & served with wild berries, caramel or chocolate sauce.Since cherries are in season in Germany now, I dressed the panna cotta with cherry sauce. Cherries mainly contain dietary fiber & vitamin C.
Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta
- Soak the gelatine sheets separately in cold water for 5-7 minutes. Cut the vanilla pod into two lengthwise and scrape the contents of the pod with the back end of the knife. (See step 5)
- In a pot add cream, sugar, vanilla pod & vanilla seeds and simmer it over low heat for 15 minutes. Remove the pot from heat. Add gelatin after removing excess water to the hot cream. Mix till it is dissolved.
- Fill the cream mixture into the bowls and refrigerate it for 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Cherry Sauce Bring to a boil cherries, water, limejuice & sugar and simmer it for 5-10 minutes. Puree it and let it pass through a sieve. Serve the panna cotta with cherry sauce and the reserved cherries as garnish.
- References http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panna_cottaHow to open and use a Vanilla Bean http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-use-a-whole-vanilla-bean-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-181511
- Recipe for Panna Cotta http://www.whatsforlunchhoney.net/2006/08/cooking-school-2-panna-cotta.htmlRecipe for Cherry Saucehttp://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/1754531285140051/Kirschen-Panna-Cotta.html