They are crescent shaped biscuits with origin in Austria,widely baked also in Germany at christmas time.This recipe is from Dr. Oetker site (English transalation). Please see references and the sites that were helpful which I have noted at the end of the recipe.
- Preparation Prepare the baking tray with baking paper. Preheat the oven - approx. 180 deg. celsius (top and bottom heat)
- DoughMix flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Add sugar, vanilla sugar, eggyolks, butter and ground almonds and mix it with a mixer (dough hook), first at low speed then till the highest speed.
- Knead the dough on a lighly floured surface to a smooth dough.Place the dough covered in plastic wrap in 30 minutes in fridge so as to make it firm.
- Make pencil thin rolls and cut it in 4- 5 cm long pieces. Roll the ends thinner then the rest of the roll and place it in baking tray (See video below). Tip: Make sure the baking tray is not hot when placing the dough.
- SprinkleMix powdered sugar with vanilla sugar and sprinkle some of it immediately on the hot kipferl. Cool the cookies and then sprinkle the rest of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VanillekipferlVanilla Sugar http://germanfood.about.com/od/baking/r/vanillasugar.htmWatch Video
- If you have any doubts during the preparation, please do write your doubts on the page. I tried this recipe with half the quantity. Do try it and let me know how it turned out.