This cake is one the most popular classic cakes in Germany. The name comes from the speciality liquor (Schwarzwaelder Kirsch Wasser) distilled from tart cherries of the Black Forest mountain region in southwestern Germany. The cake consists of layers of chocolate cake with whipped cream and cherries between each layer. Then it is decorated with additional whipped cream, maraschino cherries and chocolate shavings. Kirschwasser is also added to the cake.The two links that will be helpful when preparing the cake:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Forest_cakeThe recipe (English Transalation) is from this site:http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/69991026035641/Schwarzwaelder-Kirschtorte.html
Biscuit base ( I bought the prepared cake bases for SKT which is available in supermarkets in Germany)
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate with butter in a waterbath. Seperate the eggs. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. (Ref: See links & videos in Step 8.)
- Beat egg yolks with sugar till fluffy. Stir in bittersweet chocolate. Sift the flour, cornstarch and baking powder into the egg whites and lightly fold.(Ref: Folding -See link in Step 9.)
- Fill the mix in a baking paper lined springform pan. Preheat the oven at 175 degree celsius. Bake it for 40-45 minutes. Leave it to cool on a wire rack. After it is cooled , divide the cake twice horizontally (3 layers).(Ref: See video in step 9.)
- Pour sour cherries through a sieve and seperate the juice , mix corstarch with sugar and stir with juice until smooth. Bring the remaining juice to boil, add cornstarch and bring to a boil, add the cherries and let it cool slightly, and set it by pouring half of the cherry liquor (Kirschwasser).
- Soak the the 2 layers of cake with cherry liquor (Kirschwasser) and distribute the half of the cherry mixture and let it cool and allowed to gel.
- Whip the cream until stiff with vanilla sugar. Place the first layer on the cake plate and spread quarter of the whipped cream on top. Repeat it with second layer and cover it with the layer of biscuit base. Flavour it with cherry water too.
- Brush the cake around with cream, fill the rest for decorating into a piping bag. Cover the edge and the surface with grated chocolate. Decorate the outside with 16 cream rosette and in the middle with a cream rosette and place a cherry on top of each rosette and the cake is done!
- Melt chocolate http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/techniques/melting_chocolateBeat Eggwhites to stiff peaks http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/how-to-cook-eggs3.htmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEfO4cL-yqM
http://www.homebaking.org/glossary/old_glossary.html#.UpeoicRLM4wVideos : Cut cake into layers